10.14.2012

Scrambled Eggs and STARBASE

Last Friday I had the opportunity to attend a breakfast held by the Airman & Family Readiness Center at Buckley AFB.  The A&FRC invited superintendents, BOE members and other staff members from school districts across the metro area.  From DCSD, Dr. Chris Cutter, Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education, and I both attended.

Various presenters discussed a number of programs designed to assist servicemen and women from all branches in their personal and professional lives.  Of particular interest to me is a youth program known as STARBASE. The leadership at A&FRC are working to bring a STARBASE program to the Denver metro area.  Local school districts could partner with Buckley to have interested children attend.   The program is entirely funded by the DoD and is at no cost to schools.

STARBASE is a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) oriented program.  The DoD recognizes that the United States will have substantial future needs in this area, and so it has chosen to create STARBASE to help motivate kids, especially those who are underrepresented or at-risk, to explore the STEM subject areas.  They work within the framework of national standards to provide hands-on experience using the unique resources available on military installations.  Servicemen and women can be positive role models for these kids, and also can benefit from such volunteerism.

Wright-Patterson AFB produced a video that describes their local STARBASE program.


I believe that if DCSD has the opportunity to partner with Buckley AFB on this effort next school year, we should inform parents and facilitate the choice to attend for those who may be interested.  I am enthusiastic about any opportunity that expands STEM exposure for our kids, especially no-cost opportunities!

In my various readings about STARBASE, I came across a few concerns about the idea that the DoD has involved itself in K-12 education.  As a huge proponent of local control, I can see why perhaps there might be some individuals who do not want their children to participate, for this and other reasons.    
Parents should always be informed and in control of decisions affecting their kids' educational direction.  From what I have seen, this partnership has many benefits and can be a very fulfilling choice for interested families.

(Full disclosure: although I attended the breakfast in my capacity as a BOE member, I am a DoD employee; I do not work at Buckley AFB.)